Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cold Weather, Hot Bods

So its the end of October and holy canoli is it fa-reezing. But that doesn't mean that working out is behind us. If anything, it should make you push harder!

Summer 2014, but you get the picture.
I had honestly never thought of it that way, but really if someone can make another human being in 9 months, you should be able to make YOURSELF in 9 months. (And now I have Incubus stuck in my head.)

As I was about to step outside for my morning run today, my sister said she thought I was crazy for wearing capri workout pants because its just downright cold outside. She may have had a point, because I was chilled to the bone within minutes, but it only made me push harder- to warm myself up. If I ran faster and pushed harder, my blood would get to pumping and I would feel toasty in no time. And that worked for me! For the time that I ran this morning, I pushed myself until it felt like my lungs would burst from all of the cold air I was sucking in, and then I pushed myself some more. I pushed until I eventually was stumbling forward, the car passing me looking at me like they thought maybe I was dying, and when I got turned around to head home, I picked up the pace again and pushed myself all the way back. Even when Pandora stopped Britney Spears midway through her song, and I cursed and threw a miniature fit as I was forced to listen to classical music on my run, I still ran.

Fact.
Its true that your body can generally do way more than your mind wants to believe. I will be completely honest- I stopped running not when I was exhausted, but when I thought that running any farther would just suck. So I stopped. And it seriously ticked me off. The plan is to workout again later today because I'm upset with myself for not sticking it out and running longer. I could have been more worn out when I quit. I SHOULD have been. And tonight when I workout in my sister's basement and slowly take her stairs 2 at a time over and over and over again, I'll think "I could be doing this as a bonus to my day, not to finish my first workout." I won't think of it as a punishment, because a workout should never be thought of as a punishment. I'll think of it was extra credit work because I didn't do it right the first time. Extra time that could have been used the same way- but for better results.

You only ever regret the workouts you don't do- or the ones you don't do to your full potential.

Until we sweat again

No comments:

Post a Comment