Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Improvisation

We all have those days where getting to the gym is impossible. The babysitter couldn't make it; The work load just keeps piling up with no end in sight; You couldn't find the motivation... The laundry list of reasons could go on for days in most cases.

For me, today's trip to the gym was postponed first by a trip to visit my academic advisor (which lasted way longer than I anticipated), then by the promise of payment if I helped mom out with some stuff up at school, and finally, by my little sister's car being stranded in the park, and everyone needing to pitch in to help get it home.

This is where improvisation comes into play. Can't make it to the gym? Lift the baby up high, and bring him down again slowly, working out your arms- or hold him close and do some slow squats. Sit on a stability ball while you work at your desk to keep your core engaged. Do squats/sit ups/counter push ups while you're watching your favorite show or during commercial breaks.

My improvisation today was a little more... makeshift. As I was rushing around trying to get to the gym, my mom informed me of my sister's car situation and instructed me to go get her some fuel for the car and, if the fuel didn't do the trick, we'd be pushing.

Want to know a secret? The fuel didn't work.
(Okay, it's not much of a secret.)

Do you have any idea the muscles you work while pushing an Impala uphill? Sure, I had 3 other siblings pushing the backside of the car with me (well, 2 and a bystander), and my mom was jamming her shoulder into the frame of the car to help, but oh my goodness my buns!!! If someone had told me all I needed to do was push a car for 5 minutes to feel a deep burn in my butt, I would've been pushing cars uphill long before now. (That's not true. Screw pushing cars uphill. That sucked.)

I imagine this is what I'll feel like after the box pushes at the competition this weekend??
Gee, I can't wait...


Until we sweat again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment