Friday, July 18, 2014

In Preparation

It is official- in exactly one week, I will be on my way to Okoboji for my very first Crossfit competition.

Words can't even describe how anxious/nervous I am. I can't even begin to think of everything I need to be doing to prepare this week. I haven't run through the WODs in awhile and I am terrified to do so, just in case I end up realizing I'm awful at them and feel the need to back out.. and what is more embarrassing than wussing out on a competition a week before?

This week, I'm eating meat and vegetables like it's my job. (And the occasional bits of fruit here and there.) Dad offered to get some Moscato D'Asti tonight and I turned it down for the first time EVER. I'm afraid of taking in too much sugar this close to competition time. Sound silly to anyone else??

I'm also trying not to get too crazy in my workouts. Again, sounds kind of silly, but I'm worried I'll burn out before next weekend. (As much as I try, Taryn insists on kicking my butt with WODs like Angie. See more below.)

Angie is an ADORABLE little timed WOD consisting of 100 pull ups, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, and 100 squats. Right before we did this, our warm up was Bring Sally Up with burpees. Every time you hear the words "bring Sally up," you jump up out of the burpee, and when you hear "bring Sally down," you hold the bottom of a push up. All of that rolled together was cute. And by cute I mean I wanted to cry.

So how does one unwind before a competition?

YOGA.

I have the great pleasure of being able to take a yoga class every Thursday night at my gym, with my favorite yoga instructor ever. (She's the only one I've ever met, but I don't even care. She's the one I want. Whoo hoo hoo, honey.) The entire time I'm there, when I'm not thinking "Breathe. Breathe. BREATHE," I'm saying little prayers in my quiet moments. She has us set an intention for our practice, and lately mine has been just to be thankful for my body and the opportunities I've been presented with. How many people are given the opportunity to train with people that genuinely care about each person they work with? How many people have a healthy, young, capable body to be able to compete? Forget competing- walking, even. Healthy lungs for breathing. A healthy mind to keep my thoughts and priorities in order. A healthy heart.

While it may seem an odd thing to be thinking about right before I go destroy my body in effort to take home some bragging rights, but thanks to yoga, I've begun to realize how much I have to be thankful for- and time to myself to BE thankful, even if just an hour, is completely wonderful.

If you haven't tried out yoga, I sincerely suggest you give it a try. And if I can't convince you, I'll be having Trisha, my yoga instructor, on the blog doing a guest blog piece! Look for it soon, and wish me luck next weekend!!

Until we sweat again!!

1 comment:

  1. Amanda... You are awesome! I love that your practice is perfect and that you are finding gratitude for your body through yoga. And super huge thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete