Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Snow Day Sweat

Happy Snow Day, Iowa folks!

If you're currently in Iowa, like myself, then you are probably noticing the subzero temperatures we've been enjoying as of late. If not, let me just give you the short version- the HIGH today is -2. That is 2 degrees below zero... for the HIGH.  Due to the ungodly cold, the schools have been closed for the day.

I'm choosing to see this as a positive, because, thanks to these freezing temps, I now have all day to sweat!!

Today, I decided to put my 10 lb. medicine ball to some use. I generally only use it to do some of those "on your butt, knees at 90 degrees, hit the ball on either side of your hips" deal... Clearly I need to learn the name for those...

However, I looked up "10 lb. Medicine Ball Workouts" this morning. (No lie, those were the exact words I typed into Google.)

Here is what Google came up with for me:

15 reps Cross Chop
15 reps Figure 8
15 reps Split Pushup Knee Tuck
15 reps Balancing Burpee
20 reps Front Lunge Pass Under
15 reps Tricep Matrix
20 reps Extension Pass
20 reps Hip to Hip Boom
20 reps Weighted Boat Rock

I suck at giving explanations for all of these, so if you'd like detailed accounts of what to do, click on the link for this Awesome Medicine Ball Workout!!!

To give you some context of my transformation from, "oh hey, you don't look too terrible in the morning" to "Damn. You did a workout, huh?" I took a before and after picture.

Before this hellish ordeal
 And, drumroll please......
After.

Okay, admittedly not a HUGE difference, but that's only because I kept wiping the sweat off my forehead using my t-shirt. Don't let my smile fool you- I was in pain.

Had we not had a snow day today, I was planning on waking up 30 minutes before I had to be at work, and working out with my cheerleaders after school at practice- and let's be honest, I was probably going to be in a crummy mood so I would've bucked working out at that point. Don't follow my lead on that one. Bad lead.

You, however, can do something positive for your body at any point during the day. Take 5 minutes of your 15 minute break and do calf raises by your desk, or try to keep your knees up and feet off the floor for as long as you can while you work. Do squats during commercials while you watch television. Heck- do just 25 lunges across your classroom while the kids are at specials or recess. This whole workout took me less than 15 minutes, and that was with me whining and stopping to catch my breath after every 5 reps. You have the time to get a workout in- you just need to find your motivation!! And to be honest, all of you reading this are my motivation. I know we can do this and I can't wait to see all of the results- not only mine, but yours as well!!

Until we sweat again!

P.S. You also need a rocking playlist. Check out the playlist entitled "100 Top Workout Songs in the World" on Spotify. (It's free- don't worry.) The songs are upbeat, and fun, and are sure to help you get your butt in gear! Now get up and do something!!

No comments:

Post a Comment